Saturday, December 17, 2022

Hamilton Island - Day 6


 Today was a big adventure day.  We snorkelled on the Great Barrier Reef.

Henry was much better, I was still without a voice and slightly paranoid when people looked at me when I coughed.  Still testing negative to COVID.

We had another early start, meeting the boat at the marina for 8.00am.  Once settled on the boat a crew member came around to conduct a risk assessment by gauging our snorkelling experience and swimming abilities.  We were also issued stinger suits, snorkels and flippers.  The schedule was for two snorkels, with lunch in between.  

It was a two and a half hour boat ride out to the reef.  Henry amused himself taking interesting panorama photos of himself inside the boat cabin, I kept drinking tea and water to stop my throat from going dry, and the time passed quickly with a morning tea to enjoy and exploring the boat.


Once we arrived, it was a little confronting to discover we would be snorkelling in open water.  I don't know why, but in my head I pictured we'd be delivered to a pontoon located at a secluded part of the reef. 

The boat crew were great, explaining how the snorkel would operate with them in the water with us (one on a paddleboard leading the pack, another at the back of the snorkel pack, and another in a dinghy).  They also encouraged us to use a pool noodle for support in the water.  Milly, Buster and myself went with this option.  

The kids were slightly nervous but we were really proud they jumped in and got to experience this beautiful seventh wonder of the world.  The water was a little choppy, you'd need to stop every 30 seconds or so and put your head up to make sure you hadn't drifted from the pack, the crew were also great at redirecting people and ensuring we stuck to the reef and it's edges.  

There were lots of colourful fish (didn't spot Nemo), but the reef was less colourful than it was last time I snorkelled it, which was 22 years ago.  It was still wonderful to see.  Most of the coral was white, blue, purple and yellow.  The water was clear to see through, except for where the reef dropped off and you realised you were looking down into the deep depths of the ocean.



Once back on board the boat it was time for lunch.  Milly and Buster had already decided they didn't want to do the second snorkel.  Henry was uncommitted but chose to stay on the boat as well.  I was also tossing up whether to do the second snorkel.  My energy levels were pretty low but reasoning I may never get the chance to experience the reef again, I knew I couldn't miss the opportunity.

On the second snorkel we were all taken out to the reef by dinghy, as it was further away from where our boat was anchored.  I was on the last dinghy ride out to the reef, I lowered myself into the water and realised I needed to paddle faster if I was to catch up to the pack.  I also realised my snorkel was too loose on my face (I must have picked up Henry's snorkel instead of my own) and I had to stop in the water to readjust.  This put me even further behind the pack and each time I tried to catch up I would lose my breath.  I put my fist in the air to signal I needed help.  A crew member on a paddleboard came to me and signalled for the dinghy to pick me up.  Once in the dinghy I was asked if I wanted to get back in the water or be returned to the boat.  I said (well it was a croaky whisper really, because I had no voice) I wanted to get back in the water but just needed to catch my breath.  No worries they replied and said they'd drop me back in the water at the head of the pack.  Michael was a little worried when he saw me in the dinghy but I gave him the thumbs up I was okay and we managed to catch up with each other and finish the snorkel together. 

Michael took his underwater camera on this snorkel and managed to capture some marine life and a variety of coral.














When it was time to swim back to the boat we had to do so in open water.  Once we left the reef the water below us was dark and deep, my adrenaline was firing and I paddled my flippers as fast as I could.  Back on the boat, I overhead someone say they saw two reef sharks.

The ride back to Hamilton Island felt long.  I was exhausted but very happy to have shared this experience with Michael and the kids.



With two nights left on Hamilton Island, there was still one place I hadn't experienced, and that was One Tree Hill.  One Tree Hill is a bar located on top of a hill with one of the best views of the sun setting.  While I wasn't feeling well enough for a drink, I desperately still wanted to watch a sunset from this beautiful island.

After Michael took the kids for another swim in the pool, he whisked me in the golf buggy to One Tree Hill, where we just missed watching the sun go down over the neighbouring islands.  One Tree Hill was teeming with people.  We still managed to get a few photos but they weren't ideal with all the crowds in the background.  So we went on a buggy ride to scout some other locations we could return to for our last night.




No comments: