Thursday, December 27, 2012

Christmas Eve

Twas the day before Christmas and I failed again to put something in the advent calendar for the kids.  Oh well, I'll just have to try a lot harder next year.  I think I was saved from their disappointment because they knew their cousin Casper was arriving to stay, plus there was only one more sleep until Christmas.
 
Christmas Eve was a hot and humid one.  It was hot inside the house but it was too hot outside.  We were all sticky and sweaty, but the thrill of Christmas was in the air.  The kids had a great time playing together.  Buster took a little time to warm to Casper, but once he did they were best buddies and it was sweet to watch them have little chats and follow each other around.
 

 
Some cold watermelon to cool the kids down.

The toilet training boys.

"The wheels on the bus go round and round..."

I was busy in the kitchen most of the day, preparing as much as I could for the following days festive feast.  As soon as late afternoon hit it was time to really cool down.  Running through a sprinkler has to be one of the best things to do as a kid.  I'm not embarrassed to admit I still like to run through the sprinkler.  Although these days I do it with my clothes still on.  There's no need to scare the neighbours.


Our little streaker.

Sardines on the lounge.
 

Yin and Henry.
 
By dinner time it had cooled down a bit and there were weather warnings of thunderstorms for the evening.  It was shandy time for me, wine time for Yin, and beer o'clock for Michael and Corin.  We dined outside on some yummy pasta while some mosquitoes dined on us.  Then the kids sprinkled some reindeer food around the backyard, put out a beer and biscuits for Santa, and tried to get to sleep dealing with the heat and the impending excitement.






It wasn't quite early to bed for me.  There were still presents to be wrapped and other bits and pieces to do.  The heat was draining and when sleep finally came it was welcomed with the sound of rain and distant thunder.  I was also hoping the kids wouldn't get up too early.  One can always hope.

No comments: