Wednesday, April 04, 2012

i-not


Here is me and Boo on our laptops.  Henry is in the background watching a movie on his DVD player.  Add to this a wii (which we only got at Christmas) and that is about as technologically advanced as we get in our household.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti technology.  I love being able to access the internet, connect with family and friends via email, make use of software applications, and even publish this blog.  It has certainly made aspects of my life easier.  But I haven't been drawn in to having a smart phone, an ipod, an ipad or whatever is the latest gadget doing big business.  In fact the more advances made with technology the more I feel we are losing touch with our humanity.  I'd really like to see the world slow down a bit and get back to basics.  While we now have the immediacy in communicating with each other, it no longer seems personal.  For example, when was the last time you received a birthday card in the mail?  These days most people just send a text message or birthday wishes on Facebook.  So, let me ask another question.  When was the last time you wrote a letter or a card and posted it?  While I realise my children will grow up in a world bursting with new technology and gadgets, one thing I always have them do is make their own birthday cards for family and friends.  They write in the cards, draw pictures or paste pictures on the front, do all the decorating themselves.  It helps them to learn about celebrating other people's lifes and creates something personal for the recipient.  It's getting back to basics.


No comments: