Sunday, March 16, 2014

Garden update

After cursing the possum for eating the sunflower seedlings the kids had planted, I'm somewhat sad to report that a beheaded and gutted possum was found dead in our carport with its intestines hanging out.  It was a gruesome discovery that Michael took care of and couldn't have happened on a worse day of the week - because the garbage collection had been that morning.  So despite Michael bagging and sealing the possum in three or more bags, its rotting dead body stunk up our garbage bin for a week.  However, there is a passel of possums in our neighbourhood, so we know our vegie garden is still vulnerable.  Despite all this, some things are thriving.
 
 
I can't tell you if the snow peas taste good or not because Henry eats them straight off the vine and I've yet to grab one myself.
 
Waiting to ripen.
 

Basil and lemongrass.
 

I did some research on deterring possums in the garden and one of the non-toxic suggests was to put spikes along fences or areas they climb.  Since I want to protect my seedlings and vegies, I inserted twigs and small branches throughout my vegie patch, and so far so good.

 
 
 
Milly helped me replant some sunflower seeds and they are starting to emerge in the garden.  I'm hoping we haven't left it too late in the season for them thrive.
 


No comments: