Friday, November 25, 2011

New traditions

I've always loved the wooden advent calendars I've spied in the homewares shops, but each Christmas I've kept it cheap and bought the $2 chocolate ones instead. This Christmas I bit the bullet and spent some money on a wooden one.



This Christmas I'm starting a new tradition. Rather than the kids getting a chocolate each day, we are going to really get into the festive spirit with Christmas-themed family activities to countdown the days. Each day there will be a note in a box and I'm hoping every morning I will see excited faces, eager to find out what each day reveals. To put a stop to tears and tantrums over who gets to open the day's box, they will take it in turns. I'll be keeping the wording of each activity simple, so Henry will have to read each note to discover the surprise.

Some of the activities I've got planned are: decorate the Christmas tree; read Christmas stories; sing Christmas songs; make and decorate a gingerbread house; visit the Christmas lights; go Christmas shopping; write and deliver their Christmas cards; give to a charity; give gifts to their teachers; and wrap presents. Of course, I'm not a complete grinch and on some days they'll get a chocolate or lolly, and I've even planned a little treasure hunt in the garden.

So four more sleeps until the advent calendar makes it's appearance. I'll keep you posted on how successful it is.

No comments: