Sunday, October 30, 2011

Bringing in the age


It has been a wonderful week. A week that has restored my love of celebrating birthdays. For a number of years now I've groaned at the thought of having a birthday party or making a fuss about turning another year older. But in the past seven days I've helped a friend turn 40 with our friends, been out to a fancy dinner with Michael and some close friends, had a surprise party with my Mother's Group, and have finished it off with a party with my family. Being with my friends and my family and sharing it all with them has left me feeling pretty special indeed.

So the family dinner was a chance to entertain. My Dad and Tracey drove down from Coffs Harbour, my brother and family drove up from Sydney, my step sister Nikki joined us from Sydney too, and Mum and Peter completed the mix.

Somehow I managed to take few photos of me and the family, but not surprisingly took plenty of photos of the food. All homemade by me and Michael. Mum made my cake.



My birthday cocktail. Vanilla, pear and vodka.


Starters.
Potato foccacia with tomato, oregano and black olives.
Mushroom, feta and thyme tartlets.


Mains.
Roman style gnocchi baked with radicchio, gorgonzola and walnuts.


Mains.
Eggplant parmigiana.


Mains.
Pear, pecorino, walnut and current salad.



Chocolate mud cake.



So here I am with Mum and Dad. None of us quite believing I've made it this far. I'm hoping (and I'm sure they are too) I last another 40 years.

1 comment:

Jackie Bartley said...

Well it only took those two 'before and after' photos to remind me that more time has passed than I thought. There should be a special lens for the over 60's!

It was so great to share in the celebrations and NO we didn't tell the birth story - only discussed it between ourselves. Our memories were pretty much the same. We were thrilled to have our first child.