Saturday, May 10, 2008

The feeling's mutual


Following on from a previous blog entry "Access All Areas", I am starting to wonder when a child's fascination with their body parts crosses the line. Henry and Milly always have their bath together. They play with their bath toys and splash about, and generally have a great time; however, sometimes Henry likes to encourage Milly to touch him in the bath. And when I say "touch him", I don't think I need to tell you where he likes to be touched. He also tries to play with Milly's nipples, but most of the time she just pushes him away. Yes, I know it is all innocent child's play and it doesn't happen every bath night, but at what stage or age does it become wrong?

Also, Henry's actions do not make them the only ones in question here. I am guilty of having a chuckle and not stopping him. I've also filmed some of these episodes thinking how funny they will be to show at his 21st birthday party. So by filming and not stopping him, am I encouraging him to behave this way? Should I notify the Department of Children's Services that I am a risk to my children? I just don't know.

So having said all this, Henry and Milly actually have a lot of fun together - 80% of the time. Of course there is the usually bumping into each other, pulling, pushing, not wanting to share toys etc, but they really get on well and look out for each other.
We couldn't be more proud or happier.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Social Servcies
I would like to report two caring parents gifted with a sense of humour that are bring up two lovely children. There have been some concerns about 'manhandling' but I think it is entirley misplaced. All the parents need to do is stop depriving these children of plasticine/playdough as clearly this is what they are being deprived of, however they are showing mature signs of creativity and managing with what they have, and at no cost to the parents. My recommendation is to leave this family well alone.
Aunty Kathy