Friday, December 28, 2018

Christmas 2018




There is such a long lead up to Christmas, then it's the 'big day' and it's gone just as quick.  I packed up Christmas yesterday.  The tree and all decorations have all been put away in the loft until next year.  The only remnants of Christmas are some leftovers in the fridge and some new toys, still not yet put away.

We were at home this Christmas, with my brother and family, and Mum and Peter.  The morning begun much earlier than anticipated.  I woke up at 2.18am to the sound of voices and rustling, then soon discovered Henry was up and going through his stocking.  I told him to go back to sleep, but that didn't last long, as he was waking me up at 5.30am as the excitement was too much.  Milly and Buster soon followed.  It was going to be a long morning.

The kids all opened their stockings, which are meant to keep them busy until the main present opening when Santa arrives.  This year they had also gotten each other gifts, so we let them exchange presents between themselves.  Then it's breakfast and getting dressed and waiting for Santa.  So when you wake up at 5.30am and Santa's not due until 9.30am, that's a long wait.  Given I was up so early allowed me time to get ready myself and prepare the salads for lunch, while Michael enjoyed a well earned sleep in before his hot day in the kitchen.

It was all systems go when barefooted Santa arrived.  As usual my brother missed seeing him.  Apparently, he had witnessed an old lady fall over across the street and had rushed to her aid.  Oh well, maybe next year he'll finally see Santa for himself.

After lots of photos the present opening ceremony began.  There were lots of "oos" and "ahs" for the anticipated gifts and the surprise ones.  Then we said goodbye to Santa and not long after my brother returned.  He said the lady had broken her arm, which is why he was gone longer than expected.










The next event of the day is of course the lunch.  Michael had made Citrus Brined Chicken, a Sticky Soy Pork, homemade pickled cucumbers, the crispiest roasted potatoes, roasted sweet potato, and I made the Carrot, Feta and Mint salad, and the Quinoa Four Bean Salad with Turmeric and Honey Dressing.

I didn't manage to get a photo of the desserts.  My mum had made a Lemon Meringue Pie and a Flourless Chocolate Cake.

We ate and drank well.  









As the sun went down, the kids were still full of energy and played tips in the backyard and laser tag.  It was so hot and we were all so tired, we then collapsed into bed.  Christmas 2018 over.


No comments: