Friday, October 17, 2014

First orientation done and dusted

I think we may have put too much emphasis on trying to get Buster excited about his first kinder orientation.  The night before, as I put him to bed, he was very teary and emotional.  The build up to the big day was causing some anxiety and he told me he was scared and didn't want me to leave him.  I snuggled into bed with him and we had lots of cuddles and reassuring whispers that all would be ok.  He fell asleep with his cheek against my cheek and all was right with the world again.

The next morning he came down the stairs and told me he still felt a little bit scared.  I told him it was ok to be scared but what if the day wasn't scary at all.  What if the day turned out to be fun.  Had he considered that?  And with that he ran off and played with Henry and Milly while I got breakfast and school lunches sorted for the day.

The plan for his first orientation day was for him to spend time in the kindergarten classrooms and for him to meet his Year 6 buddies, who will be helping him and looking out for him when he starts school next year.  While he was in the classroom I was to attend an information session.  He would also be having recess with his buddies and then I would collect him.  It was also a preschool day, so after his orientation I would whizz him off to preschool.

When we arrived at school there were lots of little kids waiting in the playground for orientation to begin.  While we waited Buster played with one of his friends from preschool who is also starting school next year.  This little kid is a sweetie.  His name is Francesco, he is very timid, he is from Venezuela and English is his second language.  In fact he may be the only kid we know that is the same size or slightly smaller than Buster.  Anyway, he was following Buster around and copying him.  Buster led him to the bubblers and they managed to drench themselves with water just as it was time to head up to the classrooms.

As luck would have it, Francesco was assigned the same kinder room as Buster and they walked in together and put their bags down.  Buster then stood in the middle of the room, hands on hips and asked out loud "Now what do I do?".  He then sat down at a table, picked up a pencil and started to do some drawings.  I kissed him goodbye and left him with Francesco who joined him at the drawing table, relieved that he wasn't anxious anymore.

While I was at the information session I heard the recess bell and couldn't help but hope he was ok and was enjoying himself with his Year 6 buddies.  A week earlier Buster had received an invitation in the mail from his buddies, introducing themselves and letting him know they were looking forward to meeting him at the orientation.  Buster had been given two buddies (Alex and Xander).  Henry and Milly told Buster he must need two buddies because he is a naughty boy.

When the information session was over I headed out to the playground to meet Buster's buddies and collect him.  They were nice kids and they told me Buster had had a good time.  They also mentioned Buster showed them how he can stick rice snacks up his nose.  Later that day, Henry and Milly also told me they saw Buster at recess covering his eyes with his crackers.  I'm sure his Year 6 buddies are suitably impressed.

With his first big orientation over he was reluctant to go to preschool.  There were some tears and he took a long time to settle once we were there.  I stayed for a bit and read him some stories but then left him with his teachers.  They always take photos of the kids during the day so you can see what they were up to when it is pick up time.  The only photo they could get of Buster was one with his shirt over his head covering his face.  He had remained uncooperative most of the afternoon.  He is a stubborn little bugger.

So in two and half weeks time, he will have another orientation day.  Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly, he stays dry and his food goes in his mouth and not up his nose.



No comments: